Why You Need to Have a Money Talk With Your Partner

When my wife and I got married five years ago, money was a subject that we didn’t talk too much about.  We felt it’s just too stressful, annoying and would only make our day gloomy.

And then when we learned that we’re finally having our first baby we decided that it’s necessary that we always talk about money and how we should effectively manage it as we start building our family.

It was quite difficult at first because our decisions have to be aligned with our respective needs and expectations. There were conflicting views and admit it or not, newly-weds and even couples who have been together far too long will still have to deal with their respective parents (and in-laws) with regards to money. Continue reading Why You Need to Have a Money Talk With Your Partner

What Happens To Your Shares When the Company Gets Delisted?

I had an opportunity to coach a relatively small group of OFW’s in Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia last Thursday, April 11, 2013 that included mostly of couples and their young children. It was an interesting session as questions thrown in were very challenging.

One of the questions asked by a participant was, “what happens to our shares when a company we’re buying becomes delisted from the PSEi”?

And then this morning, I read another similar question asked by a forum member to COL Financial advisor, Mike Viñas who was worried as to what will happen to her shares in a company that has been delisted by the PSE. She was not aware that the delisting has already happened. Continue reading What Happens To Your Shares When the Company Gets Delisted?

Is Lending Money for Profit Compliant with Sharia Finance?

One of biggest population of OFW’s are in the Middle East and other Islamic countries. That’s why our heroes should at least be familiar with Islam not only as a religion but as a way of life that embraces various social, economic, and political subjects.

Muslims live in accordance with the Islamic Law called sharia which is taken from Quran. Every detail and matters addressed by sharia is linked with different issues which means anything about money is related to religion, morals, politics, and culture.

Islamic finance, therefore, runs in accordance with sharia. Islamic finance is not new. It’s as old as Islam itself. It is similar to conventional financial systems as they also have banks, stock market, mutual funds, investment firms, and insurance companies but they are governed both by Islamic laws and by the existing conventional finance industry regulations.

The main concept of Islamic finance is the fact that Allah is the owner of all wealth in the world and the human beings are just entrusted with such. Continue reading Is Lending Money for Profit Compliant with Sharia Finance?